Quantcast

[Aerogear-users] Instructions for deploying on OpenShift origin

[Aerogear-users] Instructions for deploying on OpenShift origin

Anton Hughes
Hello

Is there any existing documentation, or ideally openshift templates, for deploying the push server?

Also, does need mysql, or can it using any hibernate supported database?

Thanks

Re: [Aerogear-users] Instructions for deploying on OpenShift origin

Leigh Griffin
Hi Anton,

There is an active thread on the Aerogear-dev list which you can follow here:

There should be an updated Openshift Template landing soon, 2 members are at a point where a PR is coming.

Leigh

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 1:00 PM, Anton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello

Is there any existing documentation, or ideally openshift templates, for deploying the push server?

Also, does need mysql, or can it using any hibernate supported database?

Thanks

LEIGH GRIFFIN

ENGINEERING MANAGER, MOBILE

Red Hat Ireland

Communications House, Cork Road

Waterford City, Ireland X91NY33

[hidden email]    M: <a href="tel:+353877545162" style="color:rgb(0,136,206);font-size:11px;margin:0px" target="_blank">+353877545162     IM: lgriffin

Re: [Aerogear-users] Instructions for deploying on OpenShift origin

Summers Pittman

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 8:00 AM, Anton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello

Is there any existing documentation, or ideally openshift templates, for deploying the push server?

I've written a blog post for deploying UPS to OpenShift here : https://blog.sagaoftherealms.net/?p=644
I am also testing a UPS template for OpenShift.  You can find it here : github.com/secondsun/ups-docker-openshift-template ; feel free to send feedback.

Also, does need mysql, or can it using any hibernate supported database?

UPS supports mysql, postgres, and h2 and ships with the appropriate configuration for those.  You can probably get it to work with other HIbernate databases as well, but don't have any experience with those.

Thanks

Re: [Aerogear-users] Instructions for deploying on OpenShift origin

Anton Hughes
Thanks Summers!

This is greatly appreciated.

On 11 April 2017 at 16:42, Summers Pittman <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi Summers

I'm having problems with unifiedpush-server.

The logs are viewable at https://pastebin.com/pFKSXsQ5

Of particular interest is  Unable to get managed connection for java:jboss/datasources/KeycloakDS

Now, I already have keycloak running in my cluster, so I would have expected that it could already connect to Keycloak, but the error suggests that unifiedpush-server is not trying to connect to Keycloak, but to the Keycloak database! If this is correct, this sounds like a very poor architecture. Keycloak has a very good API.
Why would unifiedpush-server connect to the keycloak database, instead of using the keycloak API

thanks

On 11 April 2017 at 20:28, Anton <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I found https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-unifiedpush-server/pull/751 that is about seperating KC and UPS.

Does anyone know what more needs to be done on this?

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 3:26 PM, Anton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Summers

I'm having problems with unifiedpush-server.

Of particular interest is  Unable to get managed connection for java:jboss/datasources/KeycloakDS

So something that might be going on in your logs is that Wildfly deploys UPS before the databases wake up and there are errors.  In theory the pod should be destroyed and recreated.  Additionally, you may not have the service "keycloak" pointing to a mysql database, it may be your keycloak service that you mention below.

Now, I already have keycloak running in my cluster, so I would have expected that it could already connect to Keycloak, but the error suggests that unifiedpush-server is not trying to connect to Keycloak, but to the Keycloak database! If this is correct, this sounds like a very poor architecture. Keycloak has a very good API.
Why would unifiedpush-server connect to the keycloak database, instead of using the keycloak API

So way back in the dark ages of 2013/2014 Keycloak had this idea that it could be embedded in applications.  During this time UPS was written and we embedded Keycloak.  So the UPS deployment includes its own version of Keycloak and this needs its own datasource for its own keycloak.

Of course this is not ideal and we are planning on separating the two.

Yes I see there is a PR for this, and it has been waiting for a few months. https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-unifiedpush-server/pull/751 - I see its called WIP - does that mean there is more to be done on this?

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 10:48 AM, Anton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks
On 12 April 2017 at 13:19, Summers Pittman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Of course this is not ideal and we are planning on separating the two.

Yes I see there is a PR for this, and it has been waiting for a few months. https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-unifiedpush-server/pull/751 - I see its called WIP - does that mean there is more to be done on this?

I think so, we will need to get matzew to respond.