[Aerogear-users] Pushmessages to the browser

[Aerogear-users] Pushmessages to the browser

ag0ny
Hello together,

I am trying to get push messages to the most common browsers (IE,
Firefox, Chrome). The browser app is written using the Google Web Toolkit.

As a starting point I tried to get the Simplepush example up and running
using the following quickstart tutorial:

https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-js-cookbook/tree/master/simplepush-example

The Simplepush-server is running, but the (Javascript in the) index.html
of the simplepush-unifiedpush-example can't connect to it. I also still
have some basic questions I did not find an answer for in the tutorial
or anywhere else.

- Do have Simplepush und AeroGear UPS have to communicate with each
other? If so, how do they work together?

- Is the Simplepush-server included in the AeroGear UPS? What does the
simplePushUrl in the unifiedpush.js has to be set to?

I would be happy to be enlightened :P Thanks in advance

Cheers

Sascha

Re: [Aerogear-users] Pushmessages to the browser

Luke Holmquist

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 8:51 AM, ag0ny <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello together,

I am trying to get push messages to the most common browsers (IE,
Firefox, Chrome). The browser app is written using the Google Web Toolkit.

As a starting point I tried to get the Simplepush example up and running
using the following quickstart tutorial:

https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-js-cookbook/tree/master/simplepush-example

The Simplepush-server is running, but the (Javascript in the) index.html
of the simplepush-unifiedpush-example can't connect to it. I also still
have some basic questions I did not find an answer for in the tutorial
or anywhere else.

- Do have Simplepush und AeroGear UPS have to communicate with each
other? If so, how do they work together?
for that example, you don't need the UPS, there is an example in the aerogear-js-cookbook that interacts with both

- Is the Simplepush-server included in the AeroGear UPS? What does the
simplePushUrl in the unifiedpush.js has to be set to?
I believe simplePush is included when running on open shift,  but if you are not running on open shift,  then it is not included by default

I would be happy to be enlightened :P Thanks in advance

One thing to note though with SimplePush is that the Browser and the page need to be open.  Chrome And Firefox now have support for WebPush, which is basically the successor to SimplePush.  I know push will work on Chrome using the UPS(you just need to use the Android Varian) but i'm not yet sure about FF.  I can put a JIRA in place for that

Cheers

Sascha

Re: [Aerogear-users] Pushmessages to the browser

ag0ny
Thanks Luke!

I got a step further now. Had the wrong connection URI set for
simplePushUrl variable in unifiedpush.js. The correct one, when running
as standalone java process on localhost, is
http://localhost:7777/simplepush :-)

Now I am trying to get the SimplePush module running in Wildfly (not on
OpenShift). When I run the wildfly-config.cli script to add the
SimplePush extension to Wildfly I get the following error:

---------------------
The batch failed with the following error (you are remaining in the
batch editing mode to have a chance to correct the error):
{"WFLYCTL0062: Composite operation failed and was rolled back. Steps
that failed:" => {"Operation step-3" => "WFLYCTL0063: Composite
operation was rolled back","Operation step-4" => {"WFLYCTL0062:
Composite operation failed and was rolled back. Steps that failed:" =>
{"Operation step-1" => "WFLYCTL0172: sockjs-prefix is required"}}}}

Any idea what I am doing wrong or if the wildfly-config.cli script is
simply not uptodate? I am sticking to the README.md of the project
aerogear-simplepush-server.