[Aerogear-users] Unclear when to use setContentAvailable()

[Aerogear-users] Unclear when to use setContentAvailable()

Rob Willett

Hi,

We now seem to have something approaching a stable and working UPS configuration. (Famous last words!) Thanks to the Aerogear team for helping resolve the background notifications on Android.

As we are tidying up, we noticed (ahem) that we had commented out a few lines in our code.

    if (event['content-available'])
    {
        // Still not clear what to do with this.
        // push.setContentAvailable(1);
    }

We went back to the Aerogear docs and tried to work out what setContentAvailable really does and what should we do with it. The docs for the function call are a little sparse, so we looked at the source code and we’re still no wiser.

Is there a better explanation of when we should call setContentAvailable and with which parameter?

Just to set the ball rolling we think it could mean that when you receive the content-available = 1 flag on iOS, we do a call to get some data from the server ourselves, if the the results of our server call indicate that we have received new data, we set the value to setContentAvailable to 1, if our function call to the server has no data, then we set it to zero and if something failed we set it to 2.

So what happens if the value is 0, 1 or 2? if its 2, is a new new call made to something, if its 0 or 1 what happens?

Apologies if we’ve missed the point of it, but we’re struggling to understand this.

Thanks,

Rob.

Re: [Aerogear-users] Unclear when to use setContentAvailable()

Rob Willett
Matthia,

Thanks for this. Are you referring to content-available flag or the
setContentAvailable function?

We already send silent notifications out to our Android and Apple
devices and the devices handle these correctly.

Our logic goes that we send a silent notification to the device via UPS,
the device then connects to the server and pulls some data from the
server. If our app is in the foreground, we set a tiny alert in the top
left of the screen telling the user that something is ready for them, if
our app is in the background we set a notification up in the drawer
using a local-notification plugin, if the app is not started then the
fact the app has not pulled data from the server acts as a flag and we
then send down full notifications to the device. The local-notifications
and the ‘full fat’ notifications all work the same way when the user
clicks on them.

We have all of this is working now without setContentAvailable. Its much
as you outlined below. I have two phones on my desk as we speak, an
Apple and an Android and we are comparing how the notifications look as
we ping different data down to them in different situations. We’re
down to design looks now rather than programming :)

We’re just trying to work out how setContentAvailable fits into all of
this, because we aren’t using it at all! Should we be?

Rob

On 3 Dec 2015, at 18:23, Matthias Wessendorf wrote:

> [...]
>> receive the content-available = 1 flag on iOS, we do a call to get
>> some
>> data from the server ourselves, if the the results of *our* server
>> call
>> indicate that we have received new data, we set the value to
>> setContentAvailable to 1, if our function call to the server has no
>> data,
>> then we set it to zero and if something failed we set it to 2.
>>
>> So what happens if the value is 0, 1 or 2? if its 2, is a new new
>> call
>> made to something, if its 0 or 1 what happens?
>>
>> Apologies if we’ve missed the point of it, but we’re struggling
>> understand this.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Rob.

> Matthias Wessendorf

Re: [Aerogear-users] Unclear when to use setContentAvailable()

yeah, I meant the flag. Glad it works for you.

I am actually over asked on the client setContentAvailable().

We have the same in our java sender, but that triggers the flag ;)

On Thursday, 3 December 2015, Rob Willett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> Is there a better explanation of when we should call
>> setContentAvailable
>> and with which parameter?
>>
>> Just to set the ball rolling we *think* it could mean that when you
>> receive the content-available = 1 flag on iOS, we do a call to get
>> some
>> data from the server ourselves, if the the results of *our* server
>> call
>> indicate that we have received new data, we set the value to
>> setContentAvailable to 1, if our function call to the server has no
>> data,
>> then we set it to zero and if something failed we set it to 2.
>>
>> So what happens if the value is 0, 1 or 2? if its 2, is a new new
>> call
>> made to something, if its 0 or 1 what happens?
>>
>> Apologies if we’ve missed the point of it, but we’re struggling

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Re: [Aerogear-users] Unclear when to use setContentAvailable()

Erik Jan de Wit
Hi Rob,

I think we talked about this before, but the silent (content-available) notifications are scheduled by iOS, e.g. there are some heuristic involved. And they are coupled to background content fetching, so when your app receives a 'content-available' silent notification it has 30 seconds to act and afterwards it has to inform the os of the result. That is what this function is for, then the os can use this information along with how often it's used to schedule the next invocation. I agree we have a bit sparse documentation [1]. And also what apple writes is a bit sparse [2]. But you must set this result otherwise your app might not get invoked anymore. In the js api there is an enum with possible values that you can use [3]

On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 8:24 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> Is there a better explanation of when we should call
>> setContentAvailable
>> and with which parameter?
>>
>> Just to set the ball rolling we *think* it could mean that when you
>> receive the content-available = 1 flag on iOS, we do a call to get
>> some
>> data from the server ourselves, if the the results of *our* server
>> call
>> indicate that we have received new data, we set the value to
>> setContentAvailable to 1, if our function call to the server has no
>> data,
>> then we set it to zero and if something failed we set it to 2.
>>
>> So what happens if the value is 0, 1 or 2? if its 2, is a new new
>> call
>> made to something, if its 0 or 1 what happens?
>>
>> Apologies if we’ve missed the point of it, but we’re struggling

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Cheers,
       Erik Jan

Re: [Aerogear-users] Unclear when to use setContentAvailable()

Rob Willett
Erik, Matthias,

Thanks for the comments and help.

I *think* we understand now what to do with setContentAvailable.

1. We get the silent notification telling the app that data is
available,. This is through the content-available flag - Working in our
app.

2. We use the silent notification to go get some more data (typically in
our case around 4-5KB) through an XHR call - Working in our app.

3 When we have got the data from our server and we have processed the
data, we call push.setContentAvailable with either NewData, NoData or
Failed as a parameter. This tells iOS that our background execution is
all down with and iOS can do whatever else it needs to - We have just
added this logic (well a single line) to our app at the end of our
functions, GetNotificationsFromServerSuccess() and
GetNotificationsFromServerFailure(). We have imaginative names on our
project :)

We have read the docs you supplied and quite a lot of others, including
other 3rd party push providers to try and understand it.  Since
everything was working at our end without push.setContentAvailable() we
were puzzled as to its importance.

So all the push.setContentAvailable does is tell IOS we are finished
with background execution, and the parameter is the result of that
background execution? Its a tidy up function for iOS background
execution.

Thanks,

Rob