Deleting the installation and categories

mo

Deleting the installation and categories

mo
Hi,

We use OpenShift AeroGear Push Server Cartridge.

I was instructed to delete existing installations and their categories.  What exactly do I need to do?  Would I simply truncate some DB tables?  If so, which ones?

I believe deleting installations and categories is something I should do periodically.  What do you think?  I'm thinking server cannot rely on clients to unregister their installations.  Therefore stale installations would accumulate over time on the server.  Am I over-thinking this?

Would there be anything to be periodically cleaned out on the side of simple-push server?

Thanks.

Re: [Aerogear-users] Deleting the installation and categories

Matthias Wessendorf

<https://github.com/aerogear/openshift-origin-cartridge-aerogear-push>  .

I was instructed to delete existing installations and their categories.
What exactly do I need to do?  Would I simply truncate some DB tables?  If
so, which ones?

I think it's just the Installation_Categories and Installations

I believe deleting installations and categories is something I should do
periodically.  What do you think?

No, it's not :-) you wanna keep the regsitered devices.

However, you are using SimplePush, and that awfully (as stated in the other thread) has no way to identify if a channel/registration is invalid

I'm thinking server cannot rely on
clients to unregister their installations.

On "real" push networks, such as GCM/APNs, we have a way to cleanly auto remove the broken channels

Therefore stale installations
would accumulate over time on the server.  Am I over-thinking this?

No - for SimplePush, this is a real problem - yes.

Would there be anything to be periodically cleaned out on the side of
simple-push server?

Depends... in worst case a few clients are lost, and dont get the version increment delivered

Thanks.