Many established connections to Apple servers

Many established connections to Apple servers

benjaminfras
Hi,
we have an aerogear installation deployed on a EAP 6.4.11 domain mode. It is working fine so far, however after some time we see plenty of open connections to apple servers (17.188). Today we hit a peak with over 3000 open connections. It seems that each connection is tied to a separate thread, thus we had over 3000 threads as well. This is when our monitoring fired and our operation guy got alerted.
On average we're sending approx. 40 push messages every 5 minutes to both android and ios devices.

This is a snippet of what the netstat output looks like:
(...)
tcp        0      0 nbgpbossba1.petaf:46382 17.188.138.28:2195      ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 nbgpbossba1.petaf:52186 17.188.161.118:2195     ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 nbgpbossba1.petaf:52203 17.188.161.118:2195     ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 nbgpbossba1.petaf:34515 17.188.163.204:2195     ESTABLISHED
(...)

Is this expected behavior? Is it possible to set a max limit or something similar?

Re: [Aerogear-users] Many established connections to Apple servers

Matthias Wessendorf
only apple?

they should be cleaned up...

FWIW, we are looking at replacing their existing APIs w/ their newer HTTP/2 backend... but that's not yet started, but on the pipeline

thanks for looking into this matter. Yes, this only occurs with apple (see. https://gist.github.com/anonymous/b04ba972f02caaae0b9a031b37f0a1bd).

It is not happening immediately after start, but after a week or so we get first notifications from our monitoring systems.

Re: [Aerogear-users] Many established connections to Apple servers

Matthias Wessendorf
Hey Ben,

we have this ticket:

and will include it in a set of tests, that we run. Stay tuned - sorry for the inconvenience.

benjaminfras
we're using version 1.1.3.Final.

Re: [Aerogear-users] Many established connections to Apple servers

Matthias Wessendorf
Hey ben,

it's never a problem for the feedback service right ?

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 4:16 PM, benjaminfras <[hidden email]> wrote:
we're using version 1.1.3.Final.

Re: [Aerogear-users] Many established connections to Apple servers

benjaminfras
Hi Matthias,

I'm not sure what you mean. Can you be more specific, please?

Re: [Aerogear-users] Many established connections to Apple servers

Matthias Wessendorf
Hi, Ben,

we are now about to also land the HTTP/2 library (Pushy) for APNs. this addresses your problems, and also has a much better behavior  (e.g. we removed some memory leak around the connection handling of the older system)

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 3:48 PM, benjaminfras <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Matthias,

I'm not sure what you mean. Can you be more specific, please?

Re: [Aerogear-users] Many established connections to Apple servers

Matthias Wessendorf
https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-unifiedpush-server/pull/830

check it for details. Once merged, I am fine running a BETA1 release :)