Unified push server development environment setup

mo

Unified push server development environment setup

mo
Hi,

I'm trying to run the unified push server in a development environment to troubleshoot and understand it better.  I'm wondering if there is any documentation available to assist me with setting up development environment for it.  I've looked though documents under "Contributing to AeroGear", but I am in need of a more detailed guide.  I'd like to get to a point where I can run unified push, break point, and inspect variables, and so on.

So far I've managed to run 'mvn test' successfully on the unified push server source code.  I use Eclipse, so I wanted to import the project.  I get quite a lot of errors in doing so.

I am troubleshooting version 1.0.2.  We use OpenShift to deploy the aerogear server.

I appreciate any help.  Thank you.

Michi Oshima

Re: [Aerogear-users] Unified push server development environment setup

Summers Pittman

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 10:16 AM, mo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to run the unified push server in a development environment to
troubleshoot and understand it better.  I'm wondering if there is any
documentation available to assist me with setting up development environment
for it.  I've looked though documents under "Contributing to AeroGear", but
I am in need of a more detailed guide.  I'd like to get to a point where I
can run unified push, break point, and inspect variables, and so on.

So far I've managed to run 'mvn test' successfully on the unified push
server source code.  I use Eclipse, so I wanted to import the project.  I
get quite a lot of errors in doing so.

I am troubleshooting version 1.0.2.  We use OpenShift to deploy the aerogear
server.

I appreciate any help.  Thank you.

Sure thing.  I'm ran this from master, I am using postgres as my database, Wildfly as my app server, NetBeans as my IDE, and I'm running all of these commands from the CLI instead of through the IDE; but I am 99% sure the principle of what I am saying will work for you.

1. Have you read https://aerogear.org/docs/unifiedpush/ups_userguide/index/#server-installation?  It walks you through setting up your database and such.
 * You will need to start wildfly in debug mode
2. Go to ${UPS-SOURCE-HOME}/servers and run `mvn wildfly:deploy -Pwildfly`
3. In Eclipse attach a debugger to port 8787
4. Set a breakpoint in DashboardEndpoint.java in the *totalApplications* method.
5. Navigate to localhost:8080/ag-push
6. Do the login and change the initial admin password (it defaults to admin/123)
7. When you load the application, your breakpoint should be triggered.

--Summers

Michi Oshima

mo

Re: [Aerogear-users] Unified push server development environment setup

mo
Thank you, Summers.

I'm currently following the instructions in the link you provided.

I got to the point where I am supposed to create the database schema, but I cannot find either "liquibase-database-flavor-example.properties" or "ups-migrator" under the unified server git repository.  I also downloaded version 1.0.2 release distribution, but that didn't include these files, either.

Am I not looking for them in the right place?

Or could it be that this liquibase update is not available for version 1.0.2?  If so, how should I generate the database schema?

Re: [Aerogear-users] Unified push server development environment setup

Matthias Wessendorf
that all exsists 1.0.3 and later. Liquibase is not part of 1.o.2

On Friday, April 24, 2015, mo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you, Summers.

I'm currently following the instructions in the link you provided.

I got to the point where I am supposed to create the database schema, but I
cannot find either "liquibase-database-flavor-example.properties" or
"ups-migrator" under the unified server git repository.  I also downloaded
version 1.0.2 release distribution, but that didn't include these files,
either.

Am I not looking for them in the right place?

Or could it be that this liquibase update is not available for version
1.0.2?  If so, how should I generate the database schema?

Sent from Gmail Mobile

mo

Re: [Aerogear-users] Unified push server development environment setup

mo
Thanks Matthias,

I managed to figure out I needed to run `mvn liquibase:update` under the "database" dir of the unified push server project.

I believe for 1.0.2 release, the liquibase-related XML files are hard-coded to mysql.  I've been changing lines here and there to make my postgresql take the liquibase update, but I haven't cleared all errors at this time.  I will have to revisit this later on.  Maybe a more up-to-date version of unified push server will be available for OpenShift before I get to revisit this?

Thanks for all your help thus far.
mo

Re: [Aerogear-users] Unified push server development environment setup

mo
I gave up on setting up environment for 1.0.2.  I decided instead to get set up with latest on master.  It worked.  I have the unified server running on my machine now.  I'm listing some parameters here:

1. JDK (JRE) 1.7.0_51
2. Postgresql 9.3
3. Wildfly 8.2.0

Thanks for all your help.

Re: [Aerogear-users] Unified push server development environment setup

Sachidananda Patra
After running the server having followed https://aerogear.org/docs/unifiedpush/ups_userguide/index/#server-installation what are the steps to Import unifed-push server code to eclipse / intellij IDEA and configure the server, so that i can browse the code, set the breakpoints and debug.